Sunday, May 30, 2010

Ham Loaf!

So, as promised, ham loaf! This came about because my stepmother sent me enough black forest ham to feed a small army.

2 pounds ground ham
1.5 pounds hamburger
1 can evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
salt, pepper, garlic, etc to taste.

Mix like a meatloaf, and bake for 90 minutes at 350.

The ham loaf is ground ham and hamburger. The original recipe called for ground pork, but I had none, so hamburger it was.
Approximate 2 pounds ground ham. I tossed mine in the Ninja Prep & ground away.
1 pound-ish ground beef. I buy tubes o beef and slice them into equidistant rounds, about 1 to 1.5 pounds a piece.

The sauce was 1 can of cranberry sauce from the back of the pantry, dijon mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar. I put it in a sauce pan and heated it up. It was a sort of "to taste" mixture, maybe a cup of brown sugar and enough vinegar & mustard to make it a nice acid balance. Then I blopped it on the ham loaf and let it bake for about the last 30 minutes or so, and served the loaf with the rest of the sauce. I also tossed in some marischino cherry juice I had in the fridge, and I think this would work with canned pineapple as well, if I ran it though the handy Ninja Prep & swabbed it on the loaf.

You end up with a giant pink loaf of hammy goodness, I wish I'd taken a picture, it was a 4 pound pink monstrosity, but it tasted really good, and my husband ate it, and that's what matters.

No comments: